A cavity is a hole in the tooth enamel that if left untreated, can lead to eventual tooth loss. Routine methods for cavity prevention are aplenty, and it never hurts to try a few more. Here are a few tips about cavities and some prevention methods:
– Use cleaning tools that are endorsed or approved by your dentist.
– Schedule professional cleanings with your dentist every six months and schedule checkups as needed.
– Make use of alternative dental cleaning tools such as water flossers, mouthwash, and sugarless gum to help clean your mouth when brushing and flossing is not available or advised.
– Look for oral cleaning products that are endorsed by the ADA Seal of Acceptance, which guarantees the safety and effectiveness of the products pass the highest standards in the industry.
– Eat a diet that is healthy and nutritious to ensure your smile is getting the vital minerals it needs to keep your teeth and gums strong and healthy.
– Focus on brushing your teeth at least twice per day and flossing your teeth once per day.
– Avoid harmful sugars that can contribute to plaque buildup and harmful acids in your mouth, which are a known source of dental erosion.
– Avoid foods and substances that are sticky and chewy, as they tend to stay in your mouth long after eating them and cause oral health disorders.
If you think you have cavities, please call Leida P. Stine, DDS, FAGD so we can get you in to see Dr. Leida P. Stine and our team as soon as possible. Our office is located in Dublin, California, and we can be reached at 925.828.9993. We forward to keeping your oral health in pristine condition.